Friends with Benefits: 10 Reasons to Become Your Own BFF
You’ve been told your whole life to be a good friend to others – but what about being a good friend to yourself?
After all you are the only person that is with you from the time you are born to the day you die — so it seems like it would be a good idea to be a good friend to yourself.
There are SO many benefits — here are my top 10…
- Never be lonely. You’ll always have someone to go to dinner with, take a movie with and take a trip with.
- Always be there, in a moments notice. You’ll always show up to listen, love and offer wisdom, no matter how stressed, tired or busy you are at the time.
- Be honest with yourself about everything, especially your love life — even when you are dating a jackass, even when your heart doesn’t want to let go because you just don’t want to be alone, or even when you’re scared you won’t be able to do it on your own. You’ll be right there to tell you that you deserve more.
- Have no problem asking for what you need and want – whether that’s a raise, a vacation or a new love. You’ll stop thinking “Do I deserve this?” and start telling yourself, “Damn straight I deserve this!”
- Like yourself even when you’re not perfect — in fact, being imperfect will be a good thing, because no one wants to be friends Ms. Perfect. You’ll stop striving for perfection and start enjoying the extra time, energy and space imperfection provides.
- Tell yourself “I love you” and hug you at the exact moment you need it most. You’ll never have a moment when you really need to talk with someone, only to look at the phone and think “I have no one to I can call,” because you’ll be able to call on yourself for all the love you need to make it through that moment.
- Always find just the right words to say that make you feel like a million bucks – even when you feel like every one else is prettier, richer, thinner and more successful. You’ll don the rose-colored glasses of love when you look at yourself, and like an enamored and skilled lover, you will see the beauty and magnificence in you (even when you are wearing your slippers and sweats.)
- Stand up for you without question — when anyone – be it family, friends, lovers or co-workers – is being unkind to you, is taking advantage of you or is trying to guilt you into doing something you don’t want to do. You’ll be right there to make sure no one pushes you around or crosses your boundaries.
- Love your quirks and idiosyncrasies – even when they are sometimes annoying or mean everything is going to take more time. You’ll see your ‘unique’ expressions and use them to your benefit.
- Always forgive yourself, no matter what. You’ll ask for forgiveness when you need to and you’ll give it to yourself.
Okay, convinced that being a BFF to yourself is a good idea – lots of perks yes? But how do you actually do that?
This book is the official guidebook of self-love … and better than that is a fun adventure to being your own BFF – check it out at www.TheSelfLoveBook.com
About Christine Arylo & Self-Love Day
Christine Arylo, an m.b.a. turned writer, speaker and teacher, is an inspirational catalyst who teaches people how to put their most important partnership first, the one with themselves, so that they can create the love and life their hearts and souls crave. The popular author of the official self-love guidebook Madly in Love with ME, the Daring Adventure to Becoming Your Own Best Friend, and the go-to guide on self-honor and self-respect in relationships Choosing ME before WE, Every Woman’s Guide to Life and Love.
She created Madly in Love with ME, the international day of self-love (Feb 13), dedicated to making self-love a tangible reality for people around the world. Check out her free Self-Love Kit at www.ChooseSelfLove.com